Monument of Lysicrates
Athens 105 58, GreeceChoregic monument erected on the west side of the Street of the Tripods, by Lysikrates, in 335/34 B.C., according to an inscription preserved on the architrave. The circular building rests on a square podium of poros stone (2,93 m. long on each side), and consists of six Corinthian columns of Pentelic marble alternating with panels of Hymettian marble. The columns are among the earliest examples of the use of the Corinthian order in Athens. The monument is decorated with a frieze depicting scenes from the life of Dionysos. The upper surface of the monolithic roof was ornamented with carved leaves that ended at an acanthus-shaped base which supported the choregic tripod, not preserved today. The monument, known also as the “Lantern of Diogenes”, was incorporated in the Capucin monastery in 1669, and was used by the monks as a reading-room and library. The monks opened an entrance by removing one of the panels on the northwest side. The monastery was destroyed during the Greek Revolution in 1821.
Reference: http://odysseus.culture.gr
Choregic monument erected on the west side of the Street of the Tripods, by Lysikrates, in 335/34 B.C., according to an inscription preserved on the architrave. The circular building rests on a square podium of poros stone (2,93 m. long on each side), and consists of six Corinthian columns of Pentelic marble alternating with panels of Hymettian marble. The columns are among the earliest examples of the use of the Corinthian order in Athens. The monument is decorated with a frieze depicting scenes from the life of Dionysos. The upper surface of the monolithic roof was ornamented with carved leaves that ended at an acanthus-shaped base which supported the choregic tripod, not preserved today. The monument, known also as the “Lantern of Diogenes”, was incorporated in the Capucin monastery in 1669, and was used by the monks as a reading-room and library. The monks opened an entrance by removing one of the panels on the northwest side. The monastery was destroyed during the Greek Revolution in 1821.
Reference: http://odysseus.culture.gr
Alexander The GreatMeg. Alexandrou 3, Athina 104 37, ...
Bock BeerDonta 9, Athina 117 43, Greece
LotofagosRomvis 13, Athina 105 60, Greece
Ayurveda HellasNikis 28, Athina 105 57, Greece
Filippou RestaurantXenokratous 19, Athina 106 75, Gre...
Constant BagsErmou 6, Athina 105 63, Greece
Ella Greek CookingMitropoleos 26, Athina 105 63, Gre...
Lina GavraIrodotou 17, Athina 106 73, Greece
Fabrica De VinoEmmanouil Benaki 3, Athina 105 64,...
Yoleni’s Greek Gastronomy C...Solonos 9, Athina 106 71, Greece




























