Towers of NaxosTower of Agia
The Tower of Gkrek or Fragkopoyloy
In the settlement Koyroynochori we meet the Tower of Gkrek or Fragkopoyloy, one from the oldest towers of island were lived in succession by Ntelle Kartseri, Somarippa, Nte Mari and Fragkopoylo. It was built the 14th century, is constituted by three floors, and allocates courtyard. The windows they are absent in the underground strengthening the defensive form enemies. In the balcony exists sign that reports that in 1727 was belong in the family Somarippa. Today is inhabited and maintained in very good situation.
Tower Mparotsi – Gratsia
Just above the temple of Virgin Mary Protothroni is found the Tower Mparotsi – Gratsia, which is famous for the wall that is surrounded. The tower is dated the17th century and when it was built it belongs to the Mparotzi family Mparotzi, while in the entry exists the blazon of G. Fragkopoyloy. Today, it is renovated and habited.
Tower of Markos Politis at Akadimoi
In the region of Tragaias, in the village Akadimoi you will meet a big tower that was manufactured in 1776 from Markos Politi, sovereign of the area. His characteristics declare his defensive form, while his diversity lies in the fact that it was built from orthodox and constituted hearth of resistance and conflicts against the Frank Occupation from residents of Naxos . Today, it
belongs in the family Papadaki and is habited.
Tower of Markos Politis at Kerami
In the neighboring village Kerami is found the second tower that was built by Markos of Politis the same period, and this also is characterized by the size and his defensive character. It is not accidental that the two towers that were manufactured by Markos Politis are found in near distance by the preexisting tower of Venetian Mparotzi in Chalki and it is interpreted as effort of contestation of power and force of Latins who were feudal lords of region that period.
Tower of Agia
Continuing easterly, six kilometers afterwards Apollonas, we meet the tower of Agia that stands imposing to the sea and checking the northern piece of island, having intense defensive character. It was built the 17th century and was belonged in the powerful orthodox family of Grains which had an important role that period in the island. In 1992, fire destroyed the tower and today is devastated.
Tower of Barotsi
Selecting a different way, the one that by Chalki is directed to eastern Naxos, passing from thesettlements Akadimoys, Kerami and Metochi villages we reach in the village Filoti, the biggest village of island. In Filoti is found the tower of Mparotsi wich is the smallest in size from the remainder towers of island. It was built, likely, before 1620 and belongs in the family Mparotzi. In the transom exists blazon that is entered the name Tzaronimo Mparotzi as well as the chronology 1718.Perhaps, that year the tower devolved toTzeronimo or then renovated. Today it is habited.
Tower of Cheimaros
In the wider region of Filotioy, near the beach of Kalantoy it dominates the tower of Cheimaros, there is plate that shows the direction. It has been built at 4th century. B.C. and has height 15 m. It has been built with double wall and in the exterior side it is constituted from big stones made by the local marble. The entry of tower is found in the southern side while the unique window is in height of 10 m. In the interior exist three floors that are connected from each other with made of marble scale. The top of tower is not saved, if it was existed it is calculated that it would have height of 18 m. The defensive character is intense of tower so much from the unique window but also from narrow crenellations.
Tower of Zeygoli
Afterwards Danakos is found the village of Apeiranthos. On the central street of Apeiranthos we found the Tower of Zeygoli which is built on a rock. Was built at 17th century from the Kastri family, element that is proved by the blazon of family in the entry of tower. Later passed in the family of Somarippa, something that is proved from the sign of 1677 while afterwards the revolution
of 1821 it passed in the property of Zeygoli family. The tower passes to the possession of the current residents after the liberation.
Tower of Bazaios
Opposite from the village Sagkri, in the street to Agiaso is found the tower of Bazaios or the Abbey of St.Cross, dominating in the plain. The foundation is reduced the 16th century and thrives in the beginnings of 18th century when active abbots and monks contributed in the increase of wealth. As monastery of Honest Cross it functioned up to the beginnings of 19th century, where also abandoned and afterwards pass in the property of Greek state, afterwards it was sold in the Mpazaioy family. In 2000 the restoration were completed and then functions as a space of concretization cultural and cultural activities.